The West Trade Review Prize for Poetry
Submit Now and Receive an Expedited Response and Personalized Feedback
If you are one of the first 100 writers to submit a poem to our West Trade Review Prize for Poetry contest by end of day on on Saturday, May 28 , 2022, we will read your submission and provide feedback by end of day June 5, 2022. Each entry also includes a copy of the spring 2022 print edition.
The grand prize is $500 and publication in West Trade Review.
The contest is judged by Kemi Alabi, author of AGAINST HEAVEN (Graywolf Press, 2022), selected by Claudia Rankine as winner of the 2021 Academy of American Poets First Book Award.
See link for details:
• This contest is open only to emerging writers who have not yet published a book of poetry with a print run over 1500. Published books include any book with an ISBN, including self-published. Those who have published books in other genres besides poetry remain eligible.
• Only previously unpublished poems will be accepted.
• Poems that have won and/or placed in any other writing contest are ineligible.
• Unlimited entries allowed. One poem per submission.
• Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but previously accepted or work published in West Trade Review is ineligible.
• Please withdraw your submission, and notify West Trade Review, if it is accepted elsewhere.
• No one editorially or financially affiliated with West Trade Review can enter the contest.
• Entry fee is $10 for each individual poem, with no limit per author, and includes a copy of our spring 2023 print edition.
• Submission is one original poem.
• The author’s name must not appear on the manuscript or in the file name.
• Please use a standard font, either Times New Roman or Arial in 12 point font size.
• Do not include a cover page. Include a title with each poem.
• Please do not include professional resumes or biographies with your entry. Entries are judged anonymously; the judge will only consider manuscript quality.
• Please take the judge of the contest into consideration. If you know them personally, or have ever attended classes or workshops they have instructed, please use manuscripts that they would not have seen before.
• Revisions or edits will not be accepted once submitted for judging.
Entries that do no meet guidelines or eligibility requirements will not be considered.
$500 and publication in West Trade Review will be awarded to the winning poem. Other entries of merit may be considered for publication. The winning poem will be first announced on our website and social media platforms mid-June 2022 and then published in the 2023 spring print issue of West Trade Review.
Subscribe to our Newsletter and Stay Connected to Our Literary Community
Our monthly newsletter highlights some of our recent fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction and also includes book reviews of upcoming and recently released titles. If you're looking for something new to read, you won't want to miss these carefully curated titles and recommendations. You'll also have access to interviews with exciting emerging writers. Don't miss these important conversations and all our best contemporary fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction.
Sign up for our newsletter now at the link below to learn about West Trade Review events, readings, and contests before anyone else.
Thank you for your sponsorship, your friendship, and your invaluable commitment to literature.
Please take a moment to follow us on social media: